Friday 5 February 2010

Crochet Anonymous

Hello, I'm Araceli and I'm addicted to crochet.

There, I've said it. Simple, and to the point. One thing about crochet is that no one tells you how addictive it is, or how, suddenly, your right hand index finger swells up and looks like the Hulk's index.

I learnt how to do crochet years ago, my mother taught me, but there was no scope to make interesting stuff, just useless round basket-like woolly things - my crochet abilities were very limited. So it wasn't until I went to Birmingham to a friend's house last September that the crochet beast inside me was awakened. My friend taught me how to make these awesome twirly scarves. I didn't buy the yarn and crochet hooks until December, but so far I have completed two of them! (the purple one was completed only last night, and it's owner and I proudly stood for the photo below with our awesome scarves)


The trick is to make a very long chain, then do simple crochet over it and when you complete the line, repeat the simple crochet, but this time making one chain between the crochet stitches, that's how you get the twirl. The rest is easy, just double crochet lines until you reach the thickness you want. The purple scarf took up to 6 yarns, and the green around 5.

4 comments:

Reyes said...

Hello Crochet addict. I admire you since I did not manage to get past the simple chain stich (to mum's and my own dismay). Besitos

Araceli said...

Aww, I can always teach you when I see you in, err, April?! xxx

Rocio said...

the beast is awake. sewing. quilting. crocheting. what is next???? doily making??? awesome!! you are becoming extra-ordinary by the minute!! :)

Araceli said...

The best is definitely awake but, like the Immortals, there can only be one extra-ordinary ;-)